A weighted bar is a simple piece of exercise equipment you can use at home and store in your closet. They are perfect for strengthening your core, and improving balance and flexibility. Plus, they tap into multiple muscle groups, so you’ll be getting a more effective total body workout. We put together our top 10 weighted bar exercises women can do without leaving the house.
1. Barbell Forward Lunge
Link: Barbell Forward Lunge
This exercise will target your glutes, hips, and thighs.
- Start by standing with your feet hip width apart, and place a light bar behind your head, resting on your shoulders.
- Slowly step forward with your right leg, then bend your knees until your right thigh is parallel with the floor.
- Return to the start position and repeat 10 times on each side for one set.
2. Wide Stance Side-To-Side Squats
Try this one for an exercise that will hit your hips and thighs, while strengthening your core.
- Stand with your feet wide apart, with a bar across your shoulders.
- Keep your right leg straight, and bend your left leg, squatting down on your left side until you feel a slight stretch.
- Return to standing position and repeat 10 times on each side for one set.
3. Bar Bridge
Link: Bar Bridge
This one is a fantastic core workout.
- Lie on your back with your feet flat on the floor, and a bar on top of your hips horizontally.
- Press up with your hips against the bar, keeping your hands on the bar and your elbows on the ground.
- Hold for a count of 10 and release.
4. Stork Curl And Leg Extension
Try this exercise for a solid full body workout.
- Stand holding the bar at your hips, with your hands about shoulder width apart.
- Bring your left knee up bent to a 90 degree angle, then curl the bar up to your shoulder level while straightening your left left out in front of you.
- Lower the bar and bring your leg back to 90 degrees, then lower your leg.
- Repeat 10 times on each side for one set.
5. Warrior Lift
Link: Warrior Lift
Gain the strength of a mighty warrior with this lift exercise.
- Hold the bar over your head with your hands shoulder width apart and your palms facing forward.
- Step into a lunge with your right leg.
- Lower the bar out in front of you while straightening your right leg and lifting your left out straight behind you.
- Return to the lunge position then repeat five times on each side for one set.
6. Lying Triceps-Abs Combo
Link: Lying Triceps-Abs Combo
- Lie on your back with your legs in the air, knees at a 90 degree angle.
- Hold the bar with your hands close together above your forehead, palms facing away from you.
- Press the bar up into the air and extend your left leg out straight, six inches above the floor.
- Return to the start position and repeat 12 times, alternating sides for one set.
7. Overhead Press
Link: Overhead Press
This exercise will target your shoulders.
- Stand with your legs together and the bar held just under your chin with your hands shoulder width apart, facing away from you.
- Press the bar above your head, then return to the start position.
- Repeat 10 times for one set.
8. Biceps Curl
Link: Biceps Curl
Target just your biceps with this easy exercise.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, and hold the bar with an underhand grip.
- Rest the bar on your thighs, then bend your elbows, bringing the bar up to your shoulders.
- Lower the bar and repeat 10 times for one set.
9. Abdominal Curl
Link: Abdominal Curl
This exercise is perfect for strengthening your core.
- Lie on your back with your feet flat on the floor.
- Cross your arms over your chest, cradling the bar.
- Lift your shoulder blades off the floor, toward your knees.
- Return to the starting position and repeat 12 times for one set.
10. Upright Row
Link: Upright Row (Two Arm)
Do this exercise if you want to work on your back and arms.
- Start with your feet shoulder width apart, holding the bar with an overhand grip in front of your thighs.
- Draw your elbows out to the side and pull the bar up to your chest.
- Your elbows should stay above the bar.
- Lower back down to the start position and repeat eight times for one set.