The pressures and stresses of day-to-day life can do a number on your sex life, but yoga can help awaken your libido in a variety of ways.
It relieves stress and can help you put aside negative emotions. When
experiencing less anxiety, anger and distraction, you’ll have more
mental energy to focus more on your partner. Practicing yoga can give
you more strength and confidence in your body, increased flexibility and
joint mobility – you might be able to try some new positions! Plus,
many yoga poses are especially effective at strengthening the kegel
muscles, the deep pelvic muscles involved in orgasms. Try these 4 yoga
positions to improve your sex life
Wide Seated Forward Bend Pose
This pose can increase libido by directing blood flow to the pelvis.
- Sit with your legs stretched out to a 90-degree angle.
- Flex your feet so your toes are pointing up to the sky. If you feel
your pelvis tipping back, place a firm cushion under your sitting bones
to realign the pelvis.
- Place your hands on the floor behind your hips.
- Inhale, drawing up and creating space in the spine. If you’re already feeling a stretch in the legs, stay here.
- Support your low back by bracing the core. Draw the muscles of your
pelvic floor gently upward with mula bandha (the muscles you use to stop
and start the flow of urine) and draw in your lower abdomen gently.
- Exhale and walk your hands out in front of you.
- Slowly, using your breath as a guide, keep your spine long and lead with your heart.
- Stop when you feel you’ve reached a challenging, but comfortable stretch. Imagine growing longer through the spine.
- Breathe comfortably as you hold this forward bend.
- To exit the pose, exhale, brace your core, and then slowly walk your hands back toward your body.
- Gently bend your knees and bring your legs back together.
This pose will strengthen your kegel muscles: the pelvic muscles that contract during orgasm.
- Start on your hands and knees, wrists beneath your shoulders and knees beneath your hips.
- Move into Cow Pose: inhale and drop your belly toward the mat. Lift your chin and chest then gaze up toward the ceiling.
- Broaden across your shoulder blades and draw your shoulders away from your ears.
- Move into Cat Pose: exhale, draw your belly to your spine and round
your back toward the ceiling. The pose should look like a cat stretching
- Inhale, coming back into Cow Pose. Then exhale as you return to Cat Pose.
- Repeat 8 times.
Reclined Bound Angle Pose
Reclined bound angle pose is great for overall reproductive health.
It can lessen PMS symptoms, increase blood flow to the pelvis and
improve hip range of motion.
- Lie on your back on the floor.
- Gradually bend your knees and bring your heels toward your buttocks.
- Inhale and open up your knees by lowering them toward the floor.
- Extend your arms above your head and rest them on the floor.
- Take several long deep belly breaths.
- Return to the starting position, bring your hands back down to your sides and slowly pull your knees together.
- Unbend your knees so that you’re lying flat on your back.
If you think you’re too tired for sex, try the cobra pose. It’s energizing and will awaken your body.
- Lie facedown on the floor. Extend your legs back, rest the tops of the feet on the floor.
- Place your hands on the floor beneath your shoulders. Hug the elbows back into your body.
- Press the tops of your feet, thighs and the hips firmly into the floor.
- Inhale as you straighten your arms to lift your chest off the floor.
Only go as high as you can while maintaining a firm lower belly and
- Press your tailbone and lift the pubic bone toward your navel. Narrow the hip points. Firm, but don’t harden your buttocks.
- Hold your shoulder blades against your back and spread your side
ribs forward. Lift through the breastbone, but avoid pushing the front
ribs forward, which only hardens the lower back.
- Hold the pose anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds, breathing easily. Release back to the floor with an exhalation.
- You shouldn’t feel this exercise in the low back. The objective is to extend through the mid-back.
If you’ve been experiencing a lull in intimacy with your partner, do these moves to turn up the heat!