If you want to tone and build your legs for summer, you don’t have to go to a gym. You have everything you need to get the legs you want right in your own home. Some of the best exercises you can do are bodyweight techniques. Not only will you get in shape for the summer season, you’ll also be increasing your mobility, flexibility, and natural balance. Try these five workouts to get your legs slimmer.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Step forward with your right leg until both of your knees are at a 90 degree angle.
- Push through your right heel to bring yourself back up to the start position, then repeat on the other side.
- Do an equal number on each side.
2. Wall Sits
- Stand against a wall, and slowly slide your back down the wall until your knees are directly above your ankles and your thighs are parallel to the ground.
- Keep your back straight, and hold the position for 30 seconds or as long as you can.
- Squats are the king of all exercises.
- You should never plan a leg workout without including a few squats.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, and your toes turned out about 15 degrees.
- Lower yourself into squat position, keeping your head up and your butt behind your heels.
- Press through your heels to return to the starting position for one rep.
- Find a step, a chair, or a bench, and stand in front of it.
- Step up onto the surface with your left leg, then lift the rest of your body up by pushing through the left foot until your left leg is straight.
- Lower yourself back down, then repeat.
- When you’re done with your set, repeat on the other side.
5. Calf Raise
- You can do this exercise anywhere, even while you’re waiting for the bus or taking a break at work.
- Just stand with your feet shoulder width apart and your back straight.
- Then, rise up onto the balls of your feet, lifting your heels up.
- Hold that position for a moment, then lower yourself back to the starting position.
High Intensity Interval Training
To really get the most out of your leg workouts in the shortest amount of time, try HIIT. Do all of the above exercises, but this time do them as vigorously as possible. Do each exercise for 50 seconds, as fast as you can while maintaining form, then rest for 10 seconds before moving on to the next exercise. When you’ve finished all five, do the whole set again. Or, you could mix and match these exercises with other leg exercises, or change it up and do a full-body workout.