Yoga is a great way to sculpt your abs while relaxing and focusing the mind. Many yoga poses take advantage of one or two yoga blocks, which can help you maintain proper form and give you the best possible workout.
These five yoga block poses in particular are designed to work your abs. (Scroll down for the infographic!)
Try this classic yoga pose with blocks to work your abs and obliques.
- Start by sitting on your mat with your knees bent and ankles crossed.
- Position a yoga block on either side of your hips and put your hands on top of each block, fingers forward.
- Lift yourself up, keeping your knees tucked close to your chest, and hold the position for 10 to 15 seconds for one rep.
- If you need help, try leaving the balls of your feet on the mat to balance yourself.
- For a greater challenge, extend your legs out straight, holding them in the air parallel to the ground.
- Repeat five or six times, alternating the position of your crossed legs.
2. Side Plank
This exercise is a variation on the standard side plank using a block to target your abs.
- Begin in a push-up position, then rotate into side plank position (left hand on the ground with your feet sideways, resting on the left side of your left foot).
- Grab a yoga block with your right hand and lift it straight up into the air.
- Bring your right arm under your rib cage, holding the block between your ribs and the mat.
- Return to the starting position and do 10 to 15 reps.
- Switch sides and repeat.
3. Pass the Block
For this exercise, start by lying on your back on your mat with your legs lifted up into a sitting position.
- Place a block between your feet, then extend your legs out straight while simultaneously reaching your
arms straight back over your head, extending your body out lengthwise.
- Then, pull your knees into your chest and reach forward with your hands to grab the block, and extend yourself lengthwise again.
- Pass the block back and forth between your hands and feet 10 to 15 times for one rep.
4. Wide-Legged Crisscross Sit-Ups
Try this ab-strengthening exercise
by lying on your back with your legs extended straight up into the air.
- Place a yoga block between your thighs and squeeze them together to hold it in place.
- Place your hands behind your head with your elbows out to the side, then squeeze your abs to lift your shoulders up, bringing your left elbow up toward your right leg.
- Lower yourself back down, then repeat on the other side.
- Repeat 10 to 15 times for one set.
5. Balancing Act
- Lie on the mat with your knees close to your chest and the soles of your feet parallel to the floor.
- Place a yoga block on top of the soles of your feet and put your arms flat on the ground at your sides.
- Carefully extend your legs straight up, making sure the block doesn’t fall off.
- Slowly lift your hips a few inches off the floor, then lower yourself back down.
- Repeat 10 times for one set. Do two or three sets.