Ever dream of having a slender, taut body like ballerina? Ballet moves involve bodyweight-based strength training and are perfect for getting both slim and trim. Try these 7 ballet exercises to have your hamstrings, quadriceps, calves and gluteal muscles tightened and sculpted before you know it!
Equipment: Anything sturdy such as a chair, stool or barre.
- Start by lying on your back with your knees bent so that your feet are shoulder-width apart and flat on the floor.
- Your hands should be by your side with palms facing down.
- Next, push mainly through your heels to lift your hips as far off the floor as possible, while keeping your back straight.
- Hold this position for a second before slowly lowering back down to the starting position.
- For a more advanced version, do this exercise completely on your tiptoes.
2. First Position Plié Squat
- Begin with your toes pointed outward, at a 45-degree angle, while keeping your heels touching.
- Next, rise onto your tiptoes before bending your knees to slowly lower yourself down into a half squat.
- Your knees should be pointed in the same direction as your toes.
- Pause for a second or two and then rise back up, straightening your legs.
3. Second Position Plié Squat
- Start with your feet wider than shoulder-width apart and your toes turned out to the sides.
- Next, you will bend your knees to lower your body down into a squat position.
- Your thighs should be parallel to the ground.
- Hold the squat for a moment before straightening your legs to rise up to the starting position.
- To make this exercise even more challenging, do it while solely on your tiptoes.
4. Parallel Plié
- Begin by holding onto the back of a chair or a barre to help you maintain balance throughout this exercise.
- Do that while standing with feet hip-width apart and on your tiptoes.
- Next, continue balancing on the balls of your feet, and bend your hips and knees to sink down into a 45-degree angle.
- You will hold this position while repeatedly bouncing up and down a few inches for a timed duration of your choice.
- Engage your leg muscles as you pulse and alternate rising and sinking a few inches in this position.
5. Relevé Plié
- Start with your toes turned out at a 45-degree angle and with your heels touching.
- Your legs should be straight. Additionally, rest your hands on the back of a chair or something sturdy.
- Next, while keeping your abs tight and your back straight, rise onto your tiptoes.
- Then, bend your knees out over your toes and lower about halfway down.
- Pause before straightening your legs and do so while squeezing your inner thighs.
- After that, lower your heels down flat onto the ground, returning to the starting position.
6. Pulsing Gluteal Extensions
- Start on all fours. Next, extend your right leg backwards and bend your knee so that your leg is at a 90-degree angle.
- Your upper thigh should be parallel to the ground and the lower leg should be perpendicular.
- Then, extend your leg backwards in an upward movement while straightening your leg.
- Pause before lowering it back to the bent position.
- Repeat these steps to complete this exercise on your left leg.
7. Grand Battement
- Begin with your right hand on the back of a chair or something sturdy to keep you balanced.
- Brush your left leg forward, extending it off the ground and out in front of you.
- Kick it forward as high as possible, but be sure to keep your toes pointed and your leg straight.
- Pause before lowering your leg down.
- Next, kick your left leg laterally then behind you.
- Lifting your leg to the front, side and back is one repetition.