Stretching exercises for hips are not only for runners! Runners suffer from tight hip flexors because of the small repetitive movements that they are required to make. However, those of us who spend the better part of the day sitting at our desks can also benefit immensely from stretching exercises for hips.
The hip flexors are a group of muscles that, simply put, help you move your legs and hips. Tight hip flexors can trigger and exacerbate hip pain and lower back pain! Stretches for your hips help to lengthen the muscles, release tension from them, and reduce the risks of injuries.
The following stretching exercises for hips are simple, mild, and effective!
Stretch Your Hips With: Butterfly Stretch!
The following instructions will help you perform the butterfly stretch perfectly.
- Sit down on your exercise mat. Keep your back straight.
- Bend your knees and bring the soles of your feet together so that they are touching each other.
- At this point your legs should form the shape of a kite.
- Use both your hands to hold on to your ankles or your feet, depending upon whichever is more comfortable for you.
- Lift your knees up so that they are about at the same level as your elbows.
- Hold this stretch for 30 seconds.
- Then lift your knees up further so that they are almost at a 90 degree angle to the mat.
- Hold this stretch for 30 seconds at least.
- Lower your knees until they are level with your elbows again.
- Repeat the entire sequence at least 3 times.
Stretch Your Hips With: Front-to-Back Hip Swing!
Follow these guidelines to master this stretch for your hips!
- Lie down on the exercise mat. Roll over onto your left side.
- Your hips should be stacked one on top of the other.
- Use your left elbow to prop yourself up.
- Slowly and steadily raise your right leg straight up until it is level with your hips. Keep your toes pointed.
- Using your abdominal core for support, swing your raised right leg forward without shifting your upper body or moving your hips.
- Then swing your raised right leg behind you as much as you comfortably can.
- Repeat this stretch at least 4 times with the right leg.
- Resume the original position and roll over to your right side. Repeat the sequence with the left leg this time.
Stretch Your Hips With: Kneeling Hip- Flexor Stretch!
This stretching exercise for hip flexibility is an excellent way to get started with your exercise routine.
- Kneel on your right knee on the exercise mat.
- Bend your left knee and position the left foot on the mat in front on you.
- Place both your hands on your left thigh, right above the knee.
- Slowly push your hips forward until you feel the stretch in your thigh.
- Raise your arms over your head. Keep your elbows close to your ears and position your palms so that they are facing each other. Arch your back slightly.
- Hold the stretch for 30 seconds.
- Repeat the entire sequence once again while kneeling on the left knee this time.
Enhance your mobility and reduce the risk of injuries with these stretches for your hips! However, be sure to consult your doctor or fitness instructor before including any new exercises in your regular fitness schedule.