The reclining hero pose is a restorative yoga pose, an asana designed for relieving fatigue after a hectic day at work or at home. The reclining hero pose is also a great way to rejuvenate a tired and stressed-out mind. Yoga beginners can make use of a yoga strap positioned around the mid-thighs for added support while performing the reclining yoga hero pose. Perform the balasana pose, baddha konasana, bhujangasana and gomukhasana as preparatory poses to warm up your muscles and prevent the occurrence of muscle strains, cramps or injuries.
Follow these comprehensive guidelines to perform the reclining yoga hero pose sequence!
- Position yourself in the virasana pose on the yoga mat.
- Place your arms on either side of your hips. Lean your upper body backwards as you shift your hands towards your buttocks.
- Bring yourself down on your forearms, and keep lowering your body until your back is positioned against the mat.
- Position your knees close together. Hold the reclining hero pose for five deep breaths at least.
- To exit the reclining yoga hero pose bring yourself up onto your forearms and then push your body upwards through your hands.
The reclining yoga hero pose has several wonderful health benefits:
- Stretches and strengthens the ankles, knees, thigh muscles and abdominal muscles.
- A great way to eliminate fatigue and tiredness.
- Alleviates menstrual discomfort.
- Enhances the digestive functioning of the body.
Things To Remember
Individuals with ankle, knee or back injuries should refrain from attempting the reclining hero pose unless they are under the supervision of a qualified yoga professional.