By combining resistance bands with dumbbells, you can get the benefits of both methods for a more challenging and rewarding workout. Try these five exercises to see for yourself:
1. Push Up Row
- Start in a pushup position with your knees on the floor.
- Put a dumbbell under each of your shoulders, then put a resistance band across your upper back and hold one end in each hand.
- Grab the dumbbells, and do one full push up.
- Then, lift your left hand (still holding the dumbbell) to your ribs by driving your elbow toward the ceiling.
- Lower the weight to the floor, then repeat everything on the right side.
- Complete 10 to 12 reps per side.
2. Squat With Biceps Curl
- Stand on the center of the resistance band, with your feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart.
- Hold one end of the band and a dumbbell in each hand.
- Keep your elbows tight to your sides, and curl the weights to your shoulders.
- Squat down, lowering the dumbbells as you do.
- On your way back up, curl the dumbbells back to your shoulders.
- Repeat eight to10 times.
3. Lateral Lunge With Side Raise
- Stand with your feet wider than shoulder width apart, with one end of a resistance band under your right foot.
- The other end should be in your right hand, along with a dumbbell.
- Step into a side lunge, lowering the dumbbell almost to the floor.
- Step back to the standing position, then raise the dumbbell directly out to the side, keeping your arm straight.
- Return to the start position and repeat eight to 12 times.
4. Stationary Lunge With Triceps Kickback
- Begin by standing in a stationary lunge position, with your right foot back.
- Your left foot should be on top of the center of a resistance band.
- Hold the end of the band and a dumbbell in each hand.
- As you lower yourself into the lunge, extend your arms back behind you.
- Then, as you stand back up, lower your arms.
- Repeat eight to 10 times, then switch legs.
5. Reverse Lunge With Front Raise
- Stand with your feet together, and one end of a resistance band under your right foot.
- The other end of the band should be held in your left hand, along with a dumbbell.
- Place your right hand on your hip, and step back with your left foot into a reverse lunge, while raising your left arm in front of you to shoulder height.
- Return to the start position, then repeat 10 times before switching to the other side.