Yoga is a way to connect with nature, our inner self and each other. We are all interconnected through one spirit and yoga helps us tap into that. It’s a great way to relieve stress. It helps an individual achieve calm and channel enlightenment.
There are several yoga Asanas that are geared towards achieving a heightened sense of awareness. Yoga harmonizes the mental, the physical and the spiritual. If you’re just starting on your quest of achieving enlightenment through yoga, you might want to invest in a room where you can practice yoga.
Here are some interesting yoga facts we bet you didn’t know:
- Yoga comes from the Sanskrit word “Yuj,’ which means to join or yoke together.
- Here’s a funny thing about Yoga. There is a type of yoga that people do using their pets as props – the pets can also be made to do stretches. It’s been cleverly named… wait for it… “Doga!”
- Another interesting yoga fact is that it has philosophical ties. “Om,” the yoga chant, comes from Hindu and Tibetan philosophy. It is said to be the primal sound of the universe, and has its connections with the third eye.
- Yoga has a positive impact on your libido and your sex drive.
- Yoga strengthens the pelvic floor muscles. This leads to better, longer and more intense orgasms.
- According to an Indian study, yoga can also help with premature ejaculation.
- The lotus pose is a pose in which you sit and meditate. The interesting yoga fact is that it represents the symmetry and perfection of the lotus flower. Buddha and most Hindu gods are shown sitting in the lotus position in sculptures and pictorial representations.
- Historians consider Swami Vivekananda’s contributions critical in the introduction of yoga into the western culture. But the funny thing about Yoga is that it has always had a strong following in pop culture. Take the Beatles for instance – they were responsible for bringing Indian music, especially the sitar, into rock’n’roll. George Harrison was tremendously influenced by Indian philosophies and Yoga. They made it cool, and suddenly hippies from all over the world made India their travel destination to achieve nirvana and enlightenment.
- Historians believe that yoga is heavily influenced by Stone Age shamanism – something that is from 25,000 B.C. ! Yoga indeed has many parallels with Shamanic practice – poses, transcendence, asceticism and illumination are only some of the facets that show a mutual influence.
- When a man practices yoga, he’s called a ‘Yogi.’ A woman practicing yoga is called a ‘Yogini.’ A fun fact about yogis is that ‘yogini’ is a term that also refers to the female sex partner in Tantra texts. It also refers to the 64 female deities who are said to control all creative energy flow.
- Yoga has shown positive results in the social and occupational functioning of schizophrenic patients.
- According to a study done at a York University, yoga practice reduces the experience of pain that stems from neurological conditions such as Fibromyalgia. This applies to both physical and psychological pain, especially in women suffering from the conditions.
- Here’s an interesting yoga fact for the books: Democrats are more likely to tweet the word “yoga,” “upscale” and “sushi” while Republicans are more likely to tweet “weapons,” “blackberry” and “marine” according to the results of a virtual poll.
- Lena Fokina, a Russian Yogini, came up with something she calls “baby Yoga.” The internet was ablaze with controversy when they saw the video of her doing baby yoga. It basically consisted of her tossing the baby in the air, swinging it and spinning it. The baby was about two.
There is coincidentally a yoga pose called the “happy baby.” Don’t worry – it does not involve babies!