Soccer fitness focuses on strength, endurance, speed and agility, making it the one of the most physically demanding sports in the world. Furthermore, muscle balance and flexibility is also emphasized by soccer coaches to prevent injury.
Arsene Wenger, coach for English Premier League team Arsenal, has emphasized the importance of stretching, suppleness and flexibility for soccer players. Incidentally, these are also the core fundamentals of Pilates.
Pilates for soccer greatly improves your fitness level on the soccer pitch. An average player runs six to seven kilometers in every match and hence, it is essential to remain at the top of your game at all times.
A growing number of top soccer players do Pilates for soccer practice as a way of improving coordination, mobility and flexibility. They also do Pilates exercises for recovering from injuries and preventing them in the first place. David Beckham, now a staunch follower, was introduced to Pilates while he was playing for Italian Serie A club AC Milan. He claims to have had significant results by doing Pilates for soccer, dropping his total body fat from 13.7 percent to 8.5 percent.
Ryan Giggs, the most successful soccer player in Britain, credits his long and thriving career in the English Premier League to Pilates. He claims Pilates for soccer training is the reason he is still playing at age 38. Playing mid field at Manchester United, Ryan Giggs is the most successful player in British history and is estimated to be worth 37 million USD.
Benefits Of Pilates For Soccer
- Pilates for soccer is known to build core strength and improves efficiency and endurance. By doing Pilates for soccer you will develop those upper body and lower body muscles to perfection in order to keep you going for those 90 minute matches.
- Doing Pilates for soccer will help you build long lean muscles for strength without adding bulk to your body. This will help you run without sustaining any injuries.
- For soccer players flexibility is a very important feature. Pilates for soccer will benefit your range of motion which will help you intercept those sneaky passes.
- How many times have you seen David Beckham play and wondered how he moves so fast while also maintaining perfect balance? Pilates for soccer will help you improve your body alignment and postures that you need while you make those long runs towards the goal, dodging defenders.
- Improves stability and balance as it focuses on the specific muscles that stabilize the pelvis and the scapula. This in turn lays the foundation for developing a strong core and enables the rest of the body to function efficiently. It is necessary for soccer players that they develop the right muscles to hold their form so they can play through those long extra times in matches.
- Corrects imbalances in the body, reducing the risk of injury
- Increases stamina and endurance through proper breathing techniques. It teaches you the aspect of conscious breathing in which deep and conscious diaphragmatic patterns of inhaling help activate deep stabilizing muscles, keeping you focused.
Pilates for soccer also helps to correct muscle imbalances as players are prone to developing overly strong quadriceps in relation to their hamstrings. An effective Pilates workout can address this and prevent future injury.
Before taking on any workout routine, consult your doctor or physician to get a better understanding of your body requirements and to make a well informed decision.