Wintertime is notorious for bringing on the blues for just about anyone. You need something to perk yourself up, whether it’s comfort food or a hot drink for winter, and we have come up with a list of four hot drink recipes for those nights when you need a little pick me up!
1. Hot Cocoa Boost Drinks
Here’s few variations on hot chocolate that give a bit of variety to this classic winter warming drink.
Mexican Hot Chocolate
Nestle brands makes a Mexican hot chocolate which we adore, called Abuelita, and Chocolatera de Jalisco produces an equally good one called Ibarra. Both can usually be found in the Mexican foods section of most supermarkets, or ordered online. They taste like no other hot chocolate that you have ever had!
Creme de Menthe Cocoa
This version has a liquor kick, which will really warm your heart!
To make this minty treat, add:
- 1/2 oz creme de menthe
- 3/4 oz peach liqueur
- 1/2 oz vodka
If you don’t like some of these ingredients, or prefer something else, omit what you don’t want and add what you do. Feel free to experi-mint!
2. A Winter Classic – The Hot Toddy
For those of you who like the added kick of alcohol to hot beverages, here are a few ideas for an extra warming effect!
Classic Hot Toddy
The hot toddy is a very old concoction with very nebulous roots, however, it is thought to have been invented in Scotland in the 1700s. Yet another theory credits it to being a drink American Indians made from palm tree sap! Whatever the origins may be, this drink has gone down through the ages with countless variations. Here’s the variation we’ve selected:
- 1 oz brandy, whisky, or rum
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 lemon
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tea bag
Coat the glass with honey then add the remaining ingredients. Steep for three to five minutes, depending on how strong you like your tea.
3. Romantic Hot Drinks
How about a romantic hot drink to have with your partner in front of the fire? Here are a few choices, some of them my tried and true favs!
- Amaretto and coffee – 1.5 oz amaretto liqueur, 8 oz coffee, 1.5-1 oz whipped cream
- Caribe coffee – 1 oz dark rum, 5 oz hot coffee, 1.5 oz whipped cream, 1 tsp sugar (turbinado is a great natural alternative), grated chocolate or syrup
If you want to save a calorie or two, literally, leave out the sugar. Remember though, these drinks aren’t exactly diet conscious, and they aren’t meant to be! Enjoy as a treat among your healthy lifestyle.
4. Hot Tea
Always soothing, always relaxing, you can’t beat hot tea for comfort. Here’s a list of teas and their advantages:
- Green Tea – EGCG is a powerful free radical eradicator and green tea has it in droves! EGCG has also been shown to enhance brain function and might even aid in neuron creation. EGCG also promotes weight loss. Green tea may interfere with multiple cancers; prevent clogging of the arteries, counteract oxidative stress on the brain, reduce risk of neurological disorders like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases, reduce risk of stroke, and improve cholesterol levels.
- Black Tea – Made with fermented tea leaves, black tea has high caffeine content and forms the basis for flavored teas like chai. Black tea may protect lungs from damage caused by exposure to cigarette smoke and may also decrease stroke risk.
- White Tea – Uncured and unfermented, white tea has the most potent anticancer properties compared to more processed teas.
This is just a very short list of teas that can not only warm you on a cold night but have multiple health benefits as well. You needn’t add alcohol to any of these for them to be enjoyable – experiment and create your own special concoction!