Have you recently lost weight? Congratulations! You are on the road to a healthier new you! Losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight can be a challenge. To avoid the pitfalls of gaining weight, you must make intentional decisions about what and how you eat. Keep the pounds off, stay on course, and follow these habits that will keep those dropped pounds off!
Now that you have dropped pounds, should you weigh yourself daily, weekly, monthly? Weighing in once a week can be a scary task, especially if you overindulged the week before. Don’t be dismayed. Weighing in can be a reality check that will help you from regaining the weight you tried so hard to lose. The experts at internationally acclaimed WeightWatchers recommends that you should track yourself weekly.
- Pick a day of the week to step on the scale
- Record your weight (honestly) in a journal so you can see your progress
- Weigh yourself at the same time every week – early mornings are best, just after rising
- Be consistent on how you weigh in – with or without clothes
- Allow for water weight (maybe you gain water weight just before your period); stay on track and keep those dropped pounds off!
Keep A Food Diary
During your weight loss, you may have kept a daily food diary to track the foods you love (or hate). Continue to keep a food diary as you journey into weight loss maintenance. According to WebMD, people who keep a food diary are more likely to lose and maintain weight loss. If you don’t want to take the time to write a food in your diary, you are less likely to eat it. WebMD reports, “for some people, the very fact that they have to record every bite helps deter overeating.”
- Keep a notebook handy to write down everything that you eat.
- In your diary, keep a list of foods you love that will keep you on track.
- Write down motivational tips to help you when you feel despondent.
- Be honest and truthful; just as dieting, a food diary takes intentional effort.
- Continue to journal to maintain weight loss
Mindless, emotional, binge eating may be your enemies. You have successfully dropped the pounds; don’t let old habits creep in! You know the value of eating healthy – you feel better and have more energy.
- Eat to live vs. live to eat
- Choose healthy foods that keep you satiated and feeling full
- Define what drives your hunger
- Eat slowly, with gratitude and thankfulness
- Sip, don’t guzzle
- Create a place setting every time you eat – placemat, utensils, napkin, etc.
- Remember that we were made to enjoy food and savor flavors
Pick Up A Hobby
After the day-to-day grind and our busy schedules, you may not have time for a hobby. But, taking the time to nurture your creative side may be the key to maintain weight loss. If you are busy golfing, painting, playing tennis, swimming, or just being creative with your kids, you are less likely to think about food.
- Don’t be idle! Stay active all of your life
- Find your niche – take an inventory of your interests and abilities
- Pursue a creative endeavor – painting, sculpting, dance, skating, etc.
- Play community sports – basketball, hockey, baseball, etc.
- Volunteer, mentor, or take a class
- Blog about your hobby and find a cyber-following
The best part of your weight loss journey is enjoying the success of being healthy! Now you have a new zest for shopping, entertaining, and hanging out with your family and friends. Beauty and the art of being attractive come from within – smile and enjoy life!
- Connect with people who lift you up and support your healthy lifestyle
- Surround yourself with things that make you happy and content
- Take a few moments every day to meditate on your success and abilities
- We are all unique and different; nurture your own personality
- Find a mantra to repeat everyday that reinforces who you want to be “I am successful and happy”
- Smile as often as you can and keep a positive outlook
Find an app to help you with your journey to be healthy. Keeping a positive reminder at your fingertips will help you stay the course. Remember, eat to live vs. live to eat. Maintaining a healthy weight will keep you active and energized. You are an important part of the universe; think like a winner and keep those dropped pounds off!