Almost everyone likes pizza. The aesthetics and aroma of an Italian pizza shop bring to mind different memories for all of us. To some it means childhood memories, while others remember a teen slumber party and pizza by the slice. Whatever pizza brings to mind, there are many amazing ways to enjoy pizza in your own home! Try these 10 easy pizza recipes and bring Italy into your kitchen.
The beginning of a great pizza is creating the perfect crust. You can always use pre-made dough (from your freezer grocery section), buy a box of crust mix, or make your own from scratch. If you decide to make your own from scratch, here is the basic pizza dough recipe.
- 3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 packet yeast
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
Mix flour and salt in a large bowl. Create a dough ball. Make a well in the center of the dough and knead in warm water, sugar, and yeast. Add two tablespoons of olive oil. Knead for five minutes. Brush dough with remaining olive oil, cover bowl and let rise until doubled, about one and a half hours. Yields two pizza 12″ pie crusts.
Now for the toppings. Generally, tomato sauce is the first layer, then cheese, pepperoni, and other ingredients. There are, however, no set rules to creating your own pizza sensation. Everyone has their own favorite pizza topping. It’s always fun to try something new! Use the pizza dough recipe above to create your base, or use your own dough. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (depending upon your oven) for the following recipes.
1. Mother’s Meatball Pizza
- Top pizza dough with ½ cup tomato sauce and six ounces of freshly grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add sliced cooked meatballs, basil, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake an additional 10-12 minutes until brown.
2. Butternut Squash Pizza
- Begin by placing very thin slices of butternut squash as the first layer on the pizza dough.
- Add caramelized white onions, red pepper flakes, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake until crisp.
3. Breakfast Pizza Drizzle
This is delish! Pizza dough with olive oil.
- In a bowl, break three eggs. Whisk in one cup diced ham, ½ cup diced onion, ½ diced green bell pepper, ½ crumbled bacon (or more if you really like bacon).
- Pour over pizza crust.
- Bake until golden brown and eggs are cooked (about 20 minutes).
4. SoHo Shrimp Pizza
- Stretch pizza dough in pizza pan.
- Mix ¾ cup tomato sauce and ¾ tablespoon Cajun seasoning.
- Spoon edge to edge over dough.
- Add one cup shredded Manchego cheese (yum). Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the pizza is baking, sauté ½ diced onion, ½ diced green bell pepper, ½ chopped celery, and one cup shrimp.
- Remove the pizza from oven and pour shrimp mixture over pizza.
- Season with red pepper flakes.
5. BBQ Sensation Pizza
For this pizza, you can use chicken or beef, whichever you prefer.
- Spread one cup shredded cooked chicken (or beef) over pizza dough.
- Add ½ cup of your favorite BBQ sauce, ½ diced scallions, ½ diced pickled jalapenos, and one cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
6. Apple Pie Pizza
To pizza dough, add four peeled, diced apples.
- Spread evenly over dough.
- Sprinkle with ½ cup brown sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Drizzle with three tablespoons unsalted butter.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
7. Chocolate Pizazz Pizza
- Brush pizza dough with two teaspoons melted unsalted butter.
- Bake pizza crust for 20 minutes.
- While the pizza is baking, mix ¼ cup chocolate-hazelnut spread, ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips, and four tablespoons milk chocolate chips.
- Spread mixture on baked pizza crust.
- Top with one and a half tablespoons chopped walnuts.
8. Sun-dried Tomato Pizza
- Drizzle olive oil over pizza dough.
- Top with ½ cup diced sun-dried tomatoes, ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese, ¼ cup freshly chopped basil, one tablespoon chopped garlic (to taste).
- Bake for 20 minutes.
9. Pineapple Surprise
- Pizza in a mixing bowl, combine two cups chopped fresh pineapple, ½ cup ricotta cheese, and a pinch of salt.
- Spread the mixture over pizza dough brushed with butter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until crust is golden brown.
10. Taco Pizza
- Prepare one pound of fresh ground beef.
- Add one package taco seasoning mix.
- Divide the ground beef mixture to make two 12″ pizzas.
- Spread mixture onto dough.
- Divide and layer with one can refried beans, ¾ cup fresh salsa, two cups crushed tortilla chips, two cups shredded cheddar cheese, ½ cup diced tomatoes.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
No matter how you slice it, pizza makes a delicious addition to your dining menu. The ingredients are simple and it takes little time to prep. Enjoy!