Summer is almost here! Whether you would like to spend more time at the beach or have extra time to play outside, no one wants to be stuck in the kitchen on a beautiful summer day! With a variety of in-season fresh fruits and vegetables, you can make quick and easy healthy dishes to wow your family and friends! Try these 10 simple 3 ingredient recipes to blast off your summer!
1. Summer Corn
- 3 ears organic corn, shucked
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
Prepare grill heating to medium heat. Cut each ear of corn in to three pieces (9 pieces in all). In a large bowl, coat corn evenly with olive oil. Place corn on grill and cook for 12 minutes until tender, turning occasionally. Return the grilled corn to the large bowl and toss with chopped cilantro. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired. Serves six.
2. Savory Pastry Pizza
- 1 sheet puff pastry, pressed into a rectangle baking pan
- 2 cups roma tomatoes, sliced
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place puff pastry on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 40 minutes. With a fork, prick the puff pastry. Add diced roma tomatoes and sprinkle on mozzarella. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Bake for 25 minutes. Serves six.
3. Bread & Breakfast Pie
- 1 prepared frozen pie shell
- 4 eggs
- 8 ounces cubed ham (or prepared crumbled sausage)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thaw pie shell according package directions. Whisk eggs and stir in cubed ham (or crumbled sausage). Pour mixture into pie shell. Bake for 40 minutes or until eggs and pie shell are completely baked. Let stand five minutes before cutting into eight slices. Serve warm with a side of seasonal mixed fruit
4. Crockpot BBQ
- 2 pounds grass-fed pork tenderloin
- 12 ounces Root Beer
- 1 ¼ cup barbeque sauce (your favorite brand)
Place pork tenderloins in your crockpot. In a large bowl, whisk together root beer and barbeque sauce, pour over pork tenderloins. Cook on low for eight hours. Shred pork and serve on sandwich buns (or flatbread).
5. Summer Brunch Roll
- 1 package pizza dough mix, prepared and rolled into a ball
- 8 ounces thinly sliced roast beef
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a floured surface, roll out pizza dough and press into a 12 x 8 inch rectangle. Place slices of roast beef evenly on the dough, leaving ½ inch of the pizza dough uncovered. Sprinkle cheese evenly over roast beef. Beginning at one end, roll dough up to form a log. Seal by pinching seams together. Place seam side down on a non-stick baking sheet. Bake for 50 minutes, or until golden brown. Let stand 12 minutes. Cut into eight slices. Serve with French mustard or condiments of choice.
6. Vegan PB Cookies
- 1 ¼ cup unsalted organic peanut butter
- ½ cup organic maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, add peanut butter, maple syrup and salt. Blend until smooth and all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Use a cookie scoop to drop dough onto a non-stick backing sheet. Flatten with a fork. Create a ‘cross’ pattern (the peanut butter cookie cross pattern) on each cookie. Bake for 11 minutes. Cool and remove from baking sheet. Serve warm with a side of fresh fruit and a cup of hot tea. Yum!
7. My Favorite Summer Cocktail
- 2 ounces Scotch (or rye whiskey, or bourbon)
- Ginger ale
- Club Soda
In a Collins glass (or any glass of your choice), pour bourbon over ice. Fill glass with equal amounts of ginger ale and club soda.
8. Summer Strawberry Crepes
- 2 cups sliced organic strawberries
- 8 pre-made crepes, separated and warmed
- ½ cup chocolate fudge sauce
Spool sliced organic strawberries in the center of each crepe. Roll crepes and place seam side down on plate. Drizzle with warm chocolate fudge sauce. Enjoy.
9. Decadent Summer Berries
- 6 cups fresh mixed berries (blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries)
- 1 cup organic dark chocolate syrup
- Fresh mint for garnish
Elegant dessert glasses make this extra special. Spoon one cup of berries in each of six dessert glass. Drizzle each glass with two tablespoons dark chocolate syrup. Garnish with fresh mint for a cool summer dessert. Makes six servings.
10. Healthy Black Bean Soup
- 1 15.5 ounce can organic black beans
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup diced roma tomatoes
In a medium pot, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Using a blender (traditional or immersion), blend until smooth.
Be summer savvy and create savory dishes with only three ingredients. From side dishes to main courses and cocktails, you can make it quick and easy while having fun entertaining! You will enjoy having the extra time to enjoy the summer weather! Bon appetite!