Summer slow cooker recipes are classic for a reason: when it’s nice outside, no one wants to spend all day in the kitchen!
Choose healthy slow cooker recipes to keep yourself and your loved ones energized enough to keep up the fast pace of the hottest season. Use ingredients that are fresh, in season, and light enough to suit the usual lowered appetites that come with summer.
These 9 best slow cooker recipes will help you to enjoy the nice weather and keep your family feeling full:
1. Warm Peach Chicken Salad
On a breezy summer night, try this light, flavorful salad that’s also warm enough to be cozy.
- Peach slices
- Chicken cubes
- Chili powder
- Diced fruit (like strawberries, raspberries, mango)
- Traditional salad greens
- Place chicken in a slow cooker and season with cinnamon and chili powder.
- Spread applesauce over the chicken and pat a layer of sliced peaches over top.
- Cook on high for two hours.
- Add in diced fruit and continue to cook for two more hours (or until chicken is moist and fully cooked.)
- Serve warm over a bed of salad greens. Arugula and spinach are recommended.
2. Queso Dip
Perfect for a light dinner or a snack, this slightly spicy, hearty dip is great for sharing.
- Heavy cream
- Shredded cheese
- Cooked taco meat
- Diced peppers of your choosing
- Chili powder
- Heat heavy cream on high ten minutes, covered.
- Slowly stir in cheese until well mixed, adding until the mixture can is as thick as brownie batter.
- Stir in meat and peppers.
- Season as desired.
- Allow to cook, uncovered, for one to two hours over low heat or until thickened enough to be a dip.
3. NY Salt Potatoes
New York is the home of the salt potato: a young potato slathered in yummy salt and butter. These are ideal as a side for BBQ dishes.
- Young (baby) brown potatoes
- Melted butter
- Garlic powder
- Place potatoes in the slow cooker and add water until the potato layer is just covered.
- With the cover on the slow cooker, heat potatoes for one hour on low.
- Drain water until just a half an inch is left standing.
- Pour melted butter over the potatoes and add seasonings to taste.
- Continue cooking, covered, on low for one more hour.
- Uncover and cook on high 10-20 minutes.
4. Pulled Pork
One of the most classic slow cooker recipes, pulled pork is easy to make as you bop around the house and the yard on a nice day.
- BBQ sauce
- Pork shoulder
- Brown sugar
- Maple syrup
- Seasonings like paprika, chili powder, garlic, onion powder, and pepper
- Whisk together all ingredients except for pork.
- Place pork in the slow cooker and pour mixture over top.
- Cook on high one hour.
- Flip the pork.
- Cook on high for one more hour.
- Flip and then cook on low for four to six hours.
5. Salsa Thighs
Looking to surprise yourself and your family? Start this tasty recipe in the morning and forget about it until dinner is served.
- Your favorite salsa
- Chicken thighs
- Put both ingredients in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
6. Sweet and Spicy Pork Chops
Both of summer’s favored flavors in one easy dish.
- Spicy seasonings like pepper, paprika, hot chili powder, etc.
- Bone-in pork chops
- Diced tropical fruit like mango, melon, and pineapple
- Thoroughly rub seasonings on pork chops.
- Place pork in slow cooker and layer fruit on top.
- Cook on high for three hours, flipping the pork once half way through.
7. Spicy Shredded Chicken
Make it once and reuse it for several easy, tasty meals.
- Cumin, paprika, hot chili powder, and other spicy seasonings
- Finely diced peppers, including jalapeno and chili peppers
- Chicken breast and/or thighs (boneless)
- Chicken broth
- Season chicken and place in slow cooker.
- Pour in just enough broth to cover the bottom of the pot.
- Add in diced peppers and cook on high for three hours.
- Flip and cook on low for two more hours.
- Shred the chicken and use in tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, spiced soups, and more.
8. Sunshine Chili
Everything you expect when you combine the flavors of summer with the classic staples of chili.
- Pinto beans
- Garbanzo beans
- Chick peas
- Cooked ground turkey
- Diced squash, pumpkin, and yellow bell pepper
- Spicy seasonings
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a slow cooker.
- Season and heat over low for four hours.
9. Bananas Foster
Easy slow cooker recipes even apply to dessert! See?
- Coconut milk
- Pureed pineapple
- Sliced bananas
- Gently whisk together all ingredients except for bananas.
- Place sliced bananas in slow cooker and pour mixture over top.
- Cook on low for one hour and serve over cake or ice cream.