They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. We think so, too. So what is all the buzz about “detox breakfasts” that everyone keeps raving about? We did some research on the topic, and dug up numerous healthy yet delicious breakfast ideas that fit perfectly into detox diets! Here are the top 7 detox plan breakfasts:
1. Banana, Peanut Butter and Honey Milkshake
This is so delicious, you will think you are having ice cream for breakfast!
- In a blender, add ½ cup any kind of milk,
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter,
- 1 tablespoon ground golden flax seed (can substitute rolled oats if you prefer),
- 2 teaspoons of honey,
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract,
- ½ teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar,
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon,
- 1 pinch sea salt,
- 1 large ripe banana chopped into large pieces and frozen.
Blend until smooth and it is ready to serve immediately! Delish!
2. Warm Buckwheat Bowl
This recipe is perfect for a cold morning or just when you feel like some comfort food for breakfast.
- Take 1 cup buckwheat groats (dehydrated and soaked),
- ½ cup warm water,
- 1 pinch Celtic sea salt, raw honey and coconut oil.
- Grind your buckwheat into a flour, then mix in the warm water and top it all off with coconut oil and raw honey.
And that is all there is to it! Super healthy and simple for your detox breakfast plan.
3. Maple Cinnamon Applesauce
This recipe is vegan, gluten-free and Paleo! To make this breakfast:
- core, peel and chop 3 Gala apples into 2-inch chunks, and put in a saucepan with ¼ cup real maple syrup,
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice.
- Simmer, covered for 12 minutes or until the apple chunks have softened.
- Uncover and occasionally stir to break up the chunks, about 5 or 10 minutes.
- You can add more cinnamon, lemon juice or maple syrup to taste and that’s it!
It’s ready to serve by itself, as a topping for oatmeal or whole grain pancakes!
4. Detox Pancakes
This original idea came from a chef who tweaked a green smoothie recipe into one for pancakes! Yes, they do turn out green!
- Heat a non-stick griddle or skillet over medium heat setting and use cooking spray.
- In a blender, turn 1/3 cup rolled oats into flour and put into a medium bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons ground flax,
- ½ teaspoon baking powder,
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon to the flour, and stir to mix.
- In the blender, mix up 2 cups raw spinach,
- 3 large egg whites,
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract and ½ a medium banana.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients to make your batter, spoon onto griddle, and cook each 4-6 minutes each side.
This recipe yields 4 pancakes, a single serving. Top with yogurt, nuts or berries. Green detox pancakes, who could resist?
5. Detox Orange Berry Smoothie
- In a blender, combine 2 navel oranges peeled and cut into chunks,
- 1 cup frozen raspberries and 1 cup frozen blueberries.
Blend until smooth for a sweet, but healthy and refreshing detox morning breakfast!
6. The California Sandwich
This recipe is great as an open-face sandwich or as a wrap.
- For the avocado salad, peel pit and dice 1 avocado.
- Core and chop 1 tomato,
- peel and dice 1 cucumber with a squeeze of lime juice,
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro or basil with salt and pepper to taste.
- With the salad made, mix ¼ cup Greek yogurt with 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the chive spread onto your whole grain bread or wrap,
- add a layer of alfalfa sprouts and top with the avocado salad.
You get fiber, phytonutrients, omega-3 fatty acids and protein for a delicious, filling, and above all: detox-worthy breakfast.
7. Chia Seed Pudding
- Pour 2 ½ cups almond milk and ½ cup coconut milk into a large bowl.
- Add ½ cup chia seeds and the zest from one orange.
- Whisk to mix, being careful not to let the chia seeds clump together as they plump up in the milk.
- Let that chill for a few hours.
- In another bowl, add 2 tablespoons agave for sweetness (or honey),
- 1 cup chopped orange slices (about 3 oranges),
- 1 ½ cups chopped fresh and ripe pineapple.
- Once the chia seeds have chilled and plumped to their full-size and texture,
- add the second bowl of ingredients and mix.
For garnish, use ½ cup toasted coconut flakes and ¼ cup chopped pistachios. Yummy!
Detoxing frequently can seem like a chore if you don’t have a lot of variety in your detox foods. But these 7 detox breakfast recipes are delicious, satisfying and ejoyable any time of the day. Starting your day out with a yummy and nutritious breakfast can set the tone for the rest of your day. So come on and get your detoxing days started off right with these natural detox cleanse breakfast recipes!