Who doesn’t love a bowl of noodles? Eaten around the world in a multitude of styles, pasta is a staple. Unfortunately, it can be fattening and load you up with excessive carbs. Making pasta out of zucchini noodles is a much healthier option.
Once you’ve figured out how to make zucchini noodles, you have the power to eat pasta dishes without all of the carbs. Seize the power and learn how to cook zucchini noodles.
Healthy, tasty, and versatile, check out these zucchini noodle recipes for inspiration:
1. Zucchini Fettucine with Cauliflower Alfredo
Traditional pasta with Alfredo is beloved by many. This take on the classic gives a little extra oomph, plus a lot of natural nutrients!
- Gently boil zucchini fettucine and drain.
- In the meantime, puree a head of cauliflower.
- Heat the cauliflower puree on the stovetop and add your choice of cheese to taste.
- The mixture should be creamy, but if you would like it thinner, add milk.
- Diced broccoli can be added in as well for extra flavor and texture.
2. Classic Zucchini Spaghetti
For this zucchini noodle recipe, you’re basically following the directions you would to make the traditional dish. The only difference is that the pasta noodles are a fresh veggie instead of a load of carbs.
- Boil zucchini in a large pot.
- At the same time, heat traditional tomato sauce as you would for regular spaghetti.
- When the zucchini spaghetti reaches the texture you desire, drain it.
- Return spaghetti to large pot and pour sauce over, stirring together gently.
- Sprinkle with cheese as desired.
3. All-Out Autumn Spaghetti
By the time autumn rolls around, your zucchini inspiration may be running low. Breathe a little more life and creativity into the menu by combining zucchini noodles with a bunch of classic fall flavors, like pumpkin and squash.
- Gather your favorite autumn vegetables, making sure to include pumpkin and squash.
- Puree the pumpkin, squash, and any other autumn vegetable you have chosen.
- Cook over medium heat on stovetop, adding milk or vegetable broth if you would like it to be thinner.
- Sauté zucchini spaghetti lightly in oil and season as desired.
- Suggested seasoning for a sweeter meal include cinnamon and nutmeg. For a spicier flavor, add Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and garlic.
- Season sauce accordingly.
- Combine spaghetti with sauce and be sure to complement the meal with lightly toasted garlic bread!
4. Pesto Zucchini Fettucine
Delicious recipes for zucchini don’t get much better than this fresh, bold dish. Pesto is powerful– both for your health and for jazzing up a zucchini pasta meal.
- Puree a cup of basil leaves along with a cup of baby spinach.
- Shake in nuts and a sharp, crumbled cheese like parmesan or pecorino.
- Puree again, seasoning with salt, pepper, garlic cloves, and rosemary.
- Add about 1/8 cup of olive oil and mix together until a loose sauce forms.
- Refrigerate at least two hours.
- Serve hot or cold over raw or cooked zucchini fettucine.
5. Herb Butter Zucchini Noodles
Sometimes basic is better, especially when you’re trying to eat healthier. For flavor and a very simple (quick!) meal, mix up these herb butter noodles.
- Cut your zucchini noodles to be thick and short.
- Melt butter in a frying pan and sauté noodles.
- Sprinkle with your choice of herbs. Suggestions include rosemary, garlic, basil, Italian seasoning, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Gently stir together and enjoy.
6. Sweet and Spicy Zucchini Lasagna
Yeah, zucchini can be used for lasagna too! Enough said?
- Cut zucchini into long, thin sheets to form lasagna noodles.
- Gently boil noodles in water with a little olive oil.
- Layer noodles in a baking dish with the sauce, cheese, vegetables, and meats of your choosing. For example, spread a layer of the noodles, then a marinara sauce, then mozzarella cheese, then grilled chicken slices. Begin again.
- As you create these layers, sprinkle in seasonings including nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, paprika, and pepper. Don’t forget a little garlic and onion as well. It may sound weird, but the sweet and spicy combo is delicious.
- Bake lasagna at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until cheese and sauce are bubbly.
7. Cool Zucchini Pasta Salad
Of course, being a vegetable and all, zucchini is perfect for serving raw as a cold pasta salad.
- Make basic zucchini noodles, spiraled if possible.
- Select your favorite pasta salad vegetables, like artichoke hearts, tomatoes, and lime slices.
- Gently combine all these ingredients in a bowl with a homemade dressing of olive oil and red wine vinegar. Add a little Italian dressing if you are feeling adventurous.
- Toss in seasoning like red pepper flakes, pepper, chili powder, and garlic.
- Zest lime or lemon over top if you like extra tang.
- Finally, sprinkle with your favorite flavorful cheese and refrigerate at least one hour before serving.