- Sift flour, baking powder and salt altogether twice or thrice if needed.
- Cream butter thoroughly while adding sugar gradually until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly. Add almonds and chopped raisins, beat well.
- Add flour, alternately with small amount of milk, beating after each addition until smooth. Add vanilla extract.
- Bake in two greased 9-inch cake pans at 375 F for 25 minutes. Let cool and bring on room temperature.
- Spread frosting between both layers, on top and sides of cake.
- Decorate top of cake with cherries or flower fondants and serve chilled!