- Partly cooked the pie crust.
- Set aside 2 apples and peel, core and thinly slice the rest. Place apples in a heavy bottom pan with 1 tbsp water and cook until tender but not pureed. Put in the sugar, butter and orange rind. Keep cooking, cook slowly until reduced to a thick puree and cool.
- Use the previously separated apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced for the top.
- Place the cooked apples in the partly cooked pastry shell. Arrange the sliced apples on the top of the puree make sure to completely cover the puree.
- Bake in the oven at 400°F for 30 min or until the pastry is golden brown and the apples are beginning to brown.
- To form syrup, slowly heat the apricot preserve with water and lemon juice.
- Sieve the apricot syrup and spoon over the tart to glaze. Serve cold or warm!