- Preheat the oven to 190*C/ 375*F/ Gas/ Mark 5. Grease and line a 20.5 cm/8 inch round spring-from cake tin.
- Trim the Aubergine and slice lengthwise of about 0.25 inch thickness. Place in a bowl, sprinkle with salt and set aside for 30 minutes to remove any bitter juices. Rinse well under cold running water and drain.
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil and blanch the aubergine slices for 1 minute. Drain and pat dry using absorbent kitchen paper. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to instructions on pack; for best results, pasta should be slightly undercooked. Drain well and return to the saucepan.
- Add the soft cheese and allow it to melt over pasta. Stir in the tomato puree, parmesan cheese, oregano and seasoning. Set aside
- Arrange aubergine over base and sides of a tin, overlapping the slice and making sure there are no gaps.
- Pile the pasta mixture into tin, press a little and sprinkle breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 minutes and leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- Loosen the cake around edges with a palette knife and release from tin. Turn out aubergine side uppermost and serve hot.