- Cut bacon and garlic into slices, chop thyme, place them aside.
- Chop 2 bacon slices and place in a medium pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes until ribs down or fat side up and bacon is cooked finely. Spoon the bacon occasionally to separate the pieces. Shift to the plate lined with kitchen towel and let it cool. Then you'll see the bacon pieces will be crisp and dry.
- Add oil, celery, onion, carrot in a large bowl. Cover the lid and cook for 4 minutes on high flame.
- Cut down the remaining bacon and add to bowl together with garlic, further cook for 2 minutes on high heat.
- Now add stock, tomato paste, beans, thyme and canned tomatoes, cook with gentle stirring; 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the soup into warm bowl, garnish with crisp bacon and grated cheese and serve hot.