- In a large deep saucepan, put split peas and pour water as much as split peas are soaked and water level rises an inch extra.
- Give it a boil and remove froth while boiling with the help of a spoon.
- Add coriander, turmeric and salt. Let it cook on low flame for one hour. Cook until split peas are tender and soft but not pulpy.
- In the meantime, nicely chop onions, ginger and garlic.
- Heat oil in a wok, saute cumin seeds in it till they start to pop then add chopped onions and saute till soft and golden.
- Add ginger, garlic, all spice powder and stir a little.
- Add this sauteed mixture to boiling split peas, stir for 2 minutes then serve hot.