- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and 2 tbsp sugar. Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the flour.
- Using a pastry cutter, two knives, or your clean hands, cut the butter into the flour until the flour resembles a coarse meal.
- Add the milk all at once and stir until the flour is just moistened. Handling the dough as little as possible, form into a ball. Set aside.
- In a 2-qt saucepan, add the berries, remaining sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and water. Heat until boiling, stirring a few times so that the berries are well coated with the sauce. Once the berry mixture is boiling, tear off spoonful chunks from the dough ball and drop onto the fruit around the edges of the pot. You should have enough dough for 6 dumplings.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 25 minutes, without peeking at the dumplings.
- Place dumplings in serving bowls and top with berries. Serve with cream or ice cream.
- Serve hot or chilled.