- Cover raisins with water and set aside.
- Melt butter
- Break up the bread and set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice. Reserve 3 tablespoons of this mixture for topping.
- Toss bread with remaining sugar mixture.
- Pour melted butter on before you toss the bread crumbs. Your sugar mixture will stick better that way.
- Place 1/2 of bread mixture in a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Drain raisins, place 1/2 raisins over bread crumbs.
- Repeat layers. Combine egg, salt, and vanilla in a bowl. Beat for 1 minute.
- Now warm the milk on fire and cool it down at room temperature.
- Add milk slowly into the egg mixture.
- Pour over this mixture in dish.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle reserved sugar mix on top.
- Bake at 325 degree F for 45 to 50 minutes