- Make sure the water is warm. In an electric mixer bowl; pour a quarter cup of water and sprinkle with yeast. Add sugar and let stand until the yeast has softened.
- Mix in the remaining water and salt. Add 4 cups of flour and mix them to blend, and then beat until smooth and elastic, this will take 5 minutes.
- Beat in one cup of flour to make dough. Place the dough on a board that has been floured. Knead the dough, until it turns soft and small bubbles form. Add in just enough flour to prevent the dough from turning sticky.
- Turn the dough in a bowl that has been greased cover the bowl with plastic wrap, towel and leave in a warm place to allow the dough to rise; this will take approximately 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and knead into a ball, cover with an inverted bowl and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 18 portions. Knead each portion into a ball, use your palms to roll each ball from either side to narrow and elongate the ends.
- Place the rolls on a greased baking sheet. Let rise until puffy, this will take approximately 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F, use a knife or blade to cut a half an inch from side to side.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the rolls are brown. Spray with water after 3 minutes of baking and then again after a second period of 3 minutes.