- Crush the garlic clove; slice the celery stalk and leek; set them aside.
- Cut broccoli into florets and thicker broccoli stalks into 1/2-inch dice and place them into a large pan along with the potato, celery, leek, bay leaf, stock and garlic. Heat to boil, minimize the heat, cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Place the broccoli florets into the soup and again boil it.Minimize the heat, cover and simmer for another 5 minutes or until until the broccoli and potato are done.
- Put away from heat and cool the soup slightly. Discard the bay leaf. In a blender, puree the soup in small batches until smooth.
- Place soup in a pan and again heat it thoroughly. Spoon into bowls and season with black pepper. Serve immediately with crusty breads.