- In 5-quart Dutch oven, melt margarine or butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook 12 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, peel apples and carrots. Cut each apple in half and use melon baller to remove core. Cut apples into chunks Into onion in Dutch oven, stir apples, carrots,water , sugar, salt,and heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until carrots are very tender.
- Remove Dutch oven from heat.
- Following manufacturer's directions, use hand blender to puree mixture in Dutch oven until very smooth.
- Serve soup with a swirl of half-and-half if you like.
- Garnish with fresh chives.