- Grate cheddar cheese and onion, chop parsley, cut tomatoes into quarters, shred scallions; set them aside.
- In a pan of lightly salted water, parboil the potatoes for about 10 minutes then let cool. Peel and grate them then place in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the cheese, onion and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Make four equal portions of potato mixture, flatten them into cakes.
- In a frying pan, heat half of the butter and oil, cook two potato cakes at a time over high heat for a minute, minimize heat then cook for 5 minutes more until golden from down side.
- Turn to cook for further 5 minutes from other side. Do the same for other 2 cakes with remaining butter and oil.
- Transfer them into serving plates, garnish with tomato wedges and shredded scallions then serve!