- Preheat oven to 350 F. Cream the shortening with granulated, brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla and orange peel until combined well.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Mix into the bowl of sugar and combine well.
- Combine the rolled oats with 1/4 cup of hot water. Stir the cherries and oats into batter.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden. Bring out and allow to cool on a wire rack!