- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and corn syrup.
- Bring to a full boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in almonds, flour and vanilla. Mix well.
- Drop batter by scant teaspoonfuls, 3 inches (8 cm) apart, onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until the cookies stop bubbling and become very slightly browned on the edges.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for about two minutes.
- Using a thin spatula, remove one cookie from the baking sheet and place it, bottom-side-up, on a flat surface (like a cutting board). Gently roll it around a chopstick or thin wooden dowel.
- Slide off onto a tray and repeat with the remaining cookies. You'll have to work quite quickly because as the cookies cool they will harden and become difficult to roll. If this happens, you can slip the cookie sheet back into the oven for a minute or two to resoften them.
- When all the cookies are rolled and cooled, combine the chocolate chips with the vegetable shortening in a small bowl. Microwave on high power for 30 seconds. Stir, then microwave for another 30 seconds, then stir until smooth.
- Dip one end of each roll into the melted chocolate, shaking off any excess.
- Place on a waxed paper lined tray and refrigerate until chocolate is firm.