- Sift the sugar through a sieve and reserve half tbsp for icing. Set aside.
- Sift the flour with cocoa powder twice. Take a large bowl, add eggs and sugar, beat until leaves a trail on the surface. Fold in flour mixture.
- Now turn out the final mixture on greased and lined 8X12 inches swiss roll pan. Bake on 400*F preheated oven until springy to the touch, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Turn the cake out onto a lightly dusted with sugar greaseproof paper placed on clean dishtowel. While it is still warm, roll the cake up from one of its short ends. Leave to cool.
- Unroll and use warm Chocolate Fudge Icing, and spread all over then roll up again. Leave remaining icing to cool.
- Cut a thick diagonal slice off one end of the roll and join it on side of log as in photograph. Use rectangular cake board to place it on. Cover the whole with cooled fudge icing. Dust with sugar and decorate the log with variations.