- In a small saucepan, heat oil and chocolate over low heat, stirring until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add sugar, eggs and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and well blended.
- Mix in flour and baking powder and beat just until the flour is incorporated into the dough.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees F).
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease the paper.
- Place the coarse sugar in a flat bowl or pie plate.
- By hand, form the dough into 1-inch (2-cm) balls and roll in the sugar until completely coated.
- Place on prepared cookie sheet, at least 1-1/2 inches (4 cm) apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the cookies are puffed and sparkly, but still slightly soft in the center.
- Remove to a rack to cool.