- Separate 2 tbsp flour and 4 tbsp cocoa powder and set aside.
- Place a rack in the middle of oven and preheat oven to 350*F. Butter a 9” square baking pan and line the bottom with a square of parchment paper, butter generously the parchment and dust bottoms and sides of pans with flour; tap out any excess.
- If you wish to mix by hand, put the butter with sugar in a bowl; use wooden spoon and cream to make a smooth batter for a minute. Now add eggs one at a time. Whisk and blend, stir well for 30 seconds, make sure that sugar is dissolved and batter is smooth.
- Now if you’re using stand mixer, put the sugar and butter in a bowl and by using paddle attachment, cream them to make smooth for a minutes. Add eggs one at a time, blend to combine for 20 seconds. Whisk and blend the remaining ingredients by hand.
- Add vanilla extract and salt with stirring flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda in the batter. Pour in the coffee, whisk all ingredients together to make a final smooth batter (almost free from lumps).
- Pour the final batter in a baking pan, spread by using rubber spatula. Place in oven and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick or a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean with little crumbs.
- Set the pan on a wire rack to rest for 20 minutes. Run a small knife around the edge to loosen it from the side of the pan. Carefully remove pan and sandwich cake with second rack; flip cake; right-side up and leave to cool. Cut into squares and serve with a cup of coffee.