- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 1/4 cups of the sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Sift flour and baking powder together.
- Add flour mix to the butter mixture alternately with the sour cream.
- Blend very well and add the orange zest. Wrap tightly and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Turn chilled dough out on to a floured surface and roll out to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes.
- Combine the 1/3 cup granulated sugar and the ground almonds and sprinkle over the tops of the cookies.
- Place cookies on the prepared baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cookies cool on rack.