- Peel and slice the onions into 1/4 inch pieces.
- In a deep sauce pan, heat oil and butter, fry the onions for few minutes.
- Then reduce the heat and cook for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring frequently until golden brown.
- Then add vegetable stock and water, let it simmer for 30 minutes, partially covered. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill and toast french bread, sprinkled with grated cheese for few minutes.
- Ladle the soup in to four serving dishes and top with cheesy french bread.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste before serving!