- Place masa harina and water in a large bowl.
- Mix with your hands until a soft dough is formed.
- Add a little more water if the dough is dry or cracks.
- Add a little more masa harina if the dough is sticky.
- Knead dough about 3 minutes.
- Form 12 balls of equal size.
- As you form each ball, cover with plastic wrap to keep it moist.
- Place one ball between 2 baggies or 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Using a tortilla press, flatten the ball to form a 6-inch circle or use a rolling pin to roll out the circle.
- Repeat step 3, reusing the 2 baggies or 2 sheets of plastic wrap, until 12 tortillas are formed.
- As you press each tortilla, cover with plastic wrap to keep it moist.
- Heat a griddle or heavy pan over medium heat until hot.
- Cook each tortilla 30 seconds on one side.
- Turn over and cook 1 minute.
- Turn over again and cook 30 seconds longer.
- Place cooked tortillas on a plate or in a basket and cover.