- Place small potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, partially covered, until just tender, 12 to 20 minutes, depending on their size.
- Drain and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, taste a bit of potato skin—if it’s bitter or tough, peel the potatoes.
- Otherwise, leave the skins on. Cut the potatoes into bite-size pieces and put them in a large salad bowl.
- Add chopped celery, strips of ham, chopped parsley, chives and mint (or dill) to the potatoes. Toss to combine.
- Add buttermilk, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper; stir to combine.
- Gently stir in chopped hard boiled-egg. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.