- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat buttermilk and egg in small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, measure flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles small peas.
- Mix in cranberries, sugar and orange rind.
- Add buttermilk mixture and stir until soft dough forms.
- Using your hands, form dough into a large ball and place on floured surface.
- Knead about 10 times Pat into two circles about 1 inch thick, place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Score the tops, each circle into 4 wedges.
- Bake scones for 15-20 minutes.
- While still warm, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with icing sugar.