- Soak celery (trimmed and cut in half crosswise) in a bowl of ice water for 15 minutes.
- Drain and pat dry. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Whisk vinegar, honey and salt in a large bowl until blended. Add ripe pears (diced); gently stir to coat.
- Add the celery, cheddar cheese and chopped pecans; stir to combine. Season it with pepper.
- Divide the lettuce leaves among 6 plates and top with a portion of salad.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Or prepare salad without pecans up to 2 hours ahead. Stir in pecans just before serving.