- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Lightly grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt and set aside. Separate eggs and beat together egg yolks and sugar until thick.
- Beat in milk and vanilla extract. Gradually blend in flour mixture.
- Fold in bran flakes, dates and nuts.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into date mixture.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until top is lightly colored.
- Leave in pan and cool on wire rack.
- Cut into 1-inch strips and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.