- Heat oven to 350°. Line 20 to 22 cupcake molds with paper liners or sprinkle some flour inside.
- Beat butter and sugar until light then beat in the eggs. Add vanilla, orange peel and orange juice, beat until blended.
- Slowly beat in about 1.5 cups of the flour, soda and salt. Blend in buttermilk then beat in remaining flour until smooth and well blended. Stir in chopped dates.
- Fill prepared molds to about 3/4 full. Bake cupcakes for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool and frost before serving.