- Mix molasses, brown sugar, cold water and shortening until combined.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Roll the dough 1/4 inch thick on a floured surface.
- Cut with floured gingerbread cutter or any other cutter of your choice. Place about 2 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake until no indentation remains when touched, for about 10-12 minutes then let cool.
- Decorate with frosting and serve or reserve.