- Heat a saute pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the hazelnuts and toast the hazelnuts until the skins are dark brown but not burned.
- Keep the heat low so that you don't burn the hazelnuts, It should take about 6-7 minutes.
- Let cool enough to handle and rub the skins off. and can use a towel or a garlic peeler, coarsely chop and set aside.
- Add 1 cup water to the saute pan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the green beans and cover with lid.
- Steam the beans for 3-4 minutes, until just tender, immediately drain and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking.
- Wipe the saute pan dry and return to the stove on medium-high heat.
- Add the butter and let the butter brown and bubble.
- Once the butter is browned, add the shallots and saute for 1 minute.
- Pour in the balsamic vinegar and the green beans.
- Use spatula or large spoon to scoop up some of the browned balsamic butter up and over the green beans.
- Season generously with salt and pepper to taste, stir in the chopped hazelnuts.