- Rinse and drain the beans.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot.
- Add carrots, onions, garlic; cook and stir 3 minutes.
- Add mushroom; cook and stir 5 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Add broth, barley, beans, bay leaf, sugar and thyme. Bring to a boil over high heat.Reduce heat to bowl to low. Cover; simmer 5 minutes.
- Add collards simmer 10 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf. Stir in vinegar.
- Season to taste with pepper sauce.Garnish with red sweet pepper strips, if desired.