- Rinse dried pink beans, lentils, black beans, yellow split peas, kidney beans, and blackeye peas under cold running water. Place beans, lentils, and peas in a large bowl, then cover with water to 2 inches above the mixture.
- Cover and let stand 8 hours, then drain.
- Combine drained bean, lentil and pea mixture, water, and ham hock in a large pot; bring to a boil.
- Add spices, onion, carrots, celery, tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours.
- Uncover and cook 1 hour.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Remove ham hock from soup.
- Remove meat from bone; shred meat with 2 forks.
- Return meat to soup and serve.