- Chop the garlic cloves. Set aside. Using blunt side of a knife, scrape mackerel so that you can get rid of the scales. With a sharp knife make slit in stomach of fish cutting it horizontally. Clean and gut the fish properly and wash using water. If you wish you can also remove the heads of the fish.
- With a sharp knife mark 4-5 crosswise slashes on both sides of the fish. Put fish in a shallow non metallic dish.
- For the marinade put marjoram, lemon peel and juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic in a bowl, mix them. Spread this mixture on the fish. Place the fish in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Use a preheated grill to cook mackerel for 5 to 6 minutes on both the sides, putting the remaining marinade on the fish till it is golden.
- Place the fish on a serving plate, put any leftover marinade and serve hot.