- Mince the garlic cloves and cilantro.
- Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350.
- Process tomato and onion in processor or blender until pureed and thoroughly smooth. Transfer mixture to measuring cup and reserve exactly 2 cups. Discard excess.
- Remove ribs and seeds from 2 jalapenos and discard. Mince flesh and set aside. Mince remaining jalapeno. Set aside.
- Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear- about 1 1/2 minutes.Shake rice vigorously to remove excess water. This step removes the starch from the rice so it will not stick. If you omit this step your rice will not be dry and fluffy.
- Heat oil in heavy bottomed oven-safe 12 inch straight sided sautee pan or Dutch oven with tight fitting lid over low-medium heat about 2 minutes. Drop a few rice grains in and if they sizzle then it is ready. Add rice and fry stirring until rice is light golden and translucent, about 6-8 minutes. Be careful that the oil doesn't get too hot too fast or the oil will splatter.
- Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and 2 minced jalapenos and cook , stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in broth, pureed mixture and salt. Increase heat to medium high, and bring to a boil.
- Cover pan and transfer pan to oven to bake until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30-35 minutes. Stir well after 15 minutes. Stir in cilantro, minced jalapeno to taste, and pass lime wedges separately.
- You'll love this rice!