- Warm up an oven to 250*F.
- Soak beans by a method listed in the introduction. Pick and rinse beans.
- Add 4 cups of cold water, cover, heat to boiling, simmer for 30 minutes. Drain keeping liquid.
- Place sliced onion in bottom of 6 cup casserole dish. Mix seasonings, and turn into pot.
- Add beans, and hot liquid or water to cover. Arrange pork slices on top. Cover and bake in slow oven for seven hours.
- At end of four hours, remove one cup of beans, mash, then stir back into remaining beans carefully. Cover and continue to bake.
- Add liquid several times to keep beans just covered. One hour before serving, remove cover to allow pork to brown. Serve hot.