- Preaheat oven to 450°.
- Place asparagus( tough ends removed) on a large rimmed baking sheet; drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast until tender, tossing occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cut into 2 inch lengths.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil; add a generous amount of salt.
- Cook pasta until al dente according to package instructions.
- Reserve 1 cup of pasta water, drain pasta.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat with the butter. When hot, add the chopped onions and sauté until the onions are soft and beginning to caramelize, about two minutes.
- Whisk in the goat cheese, ground nutmeg and the reserved pasta water and cook until the goat cheese has melted. Toss in the cooked pasta and the asparagus.
- Taste and season with additional salt if needed.(Adjust seasoning according to taste).
- Garnish with fresh chives or parsley(if desired).