- Seed and slice the sweet peppers into 2 1/2 to 3-inch long strips; slice the onion into half-moons; thinly slice the garlic cloves; seed and dice the tomatoes.
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium high heat. When the oil is almost smoking, add the onions. Sprinkle with a little salt and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until the onions just begin to color.
- Add the peppers and stir well to combine with the onions. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring often. The peppers should be cooked, but with a little crunch left in them.
- Add the garlic and sauté another 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle a little more salt over everything and add the sugar and dried oregano. Cook 1 minute. Add the diced tomatoes, and cook just one minute further.
- Turn off the heat and mix in the torn basil. Grind some black pepper over everything. Right before serving squeeze a little lemon juice over the dish.